Not only has the tribe spoken; science has too: An individual and team with higher levels of emotional intelligence perform better.
Emotional Intelligence is “recognising, understanding, and choosing how we think, feel, and act. It shapes our interactions with others and our understanding of ourselves. It defines how and what we learn; it allows us to set priorities; it determines the majority of our daily actions.” (Freedman et. al.)
In 2016/17 emotional intelligence was introduced for the first time into the A-League’s Sydney FC team environment who would go on to break every record in that season, and the four that followed. The tools and techniques became embedded into the culture.
When asked about the approach taken, this is what Grand finalist and Socceroo Rhyan Grant said on its impact: "We've done a lot of mental stuff this year…It's put belief in everybody, we know we can run a game out and score goals whenever we put our minds to it."(SBS: the World Game)
The 20 subjects in this module:
- Contain real cases and examples from football globally
- Introduce the topic of Emotional intelligence
- Provide you with models of emotional intelligence including the concepts of self-awareness, self-management, empathy and social-skills,
- Provide you with practical examples of how to understand emotional intelligence
- teach you how to apply emotional intelligence and how to build higher levels in yourself and your team
- Deliver an understanding of how the brain and mind work and its connection to yours and other’s performance
- Help you understand how you and others respond to certain situations
- Provide you with an understanding of “happy hormones” and their impact.
The module also provides something unique: an emotional agility measurement tool you can access for you, your team and your family.